Hubballi is a major city of this district and is a famous industrial town. This historic town was known as Raya Hubballi and also as Elaya Puravada Halli during the ancient times. This city metamorphosed into an important commercial centre for trade in cotton and iron during the reign of the Vijaynagara empire. The city is noted for its handloom textile units and has many cotton ginning and processing mills.
Hubballi-Dharwad twin city has some of the important monuments like the beautiful temples, churches, mosques, and monasteries that are worth a visit. Not to be missed are the delicious Pedas, the specialty of the district.
- STPI-Hubballi has been operational from May 2001. It is located in the IT Park - situated in the heart of the City.
- STPI Hubballi has a high speed gateway capable of servicing the internet community in the radius of 40 kms, with its high-tech microwave setup and the capacity can go upto Davanagere, Shimoga and upto Gulbarga in the Northern region using hired fiber / copper.
- STPI-Hubballi houses the first of its kind 'Incubation Center' designed for startup companies. 4000 sq. feet furnished infrastructure is fully equipped with computers, Internet, Telephone, Fax, and Xerox, and 24-hour technical support.
Presently 5 IT companies are operating in the Incubation center.
- STPI Hubballi is a fourth independent gateway in Karnataka having its main center at Bengaluru, which accounts for one third of country's software exports from Karnataka. Headquartered at New Delhi.
- STPI is operating from as many as 48 high-speed satellite and fiber gateways to communicate with 23 countries.